Organized, award-winning designer who is well versed in alterations, fittings and design of apparel and accessories. Love all aspects of theater and the creative process. Hardworking and enjoys collaborating with a passionate team of creative individuals to tell stories through clothing and accessories.
Aspire to major in theater production with emphasis in costume design, paired with minors in finance and fashion design.
Electra was the fall show for my junior year. I was appointed costume chief for that show. Electra taught me a lot about Greek tragedy, specifically the chorus. When the Greeks would put on plays, they had chorus members who would speak the same lines at the same time. No one would be able to hear them because it was such big space. No one had an individual lines until later. So I thought with the chorus we could make the costumes somewhat the same which would represent how they used to not have individual lines. The visual of the costumes still represented that but in this show that was directed, they had their own lines. Painting them I felt made them louder in a way just like how it used to be. Electra's costume was the most interesting to create because while using a pattern piece we still had to make it look distraught as it was how Electra was treated; like a servant in a way but in a futuristic vision.
A Funny Thing Happened On the Way To the Forum was the first musical I was costume chief for. Going into the show I researched different accessories and clothing of ancient Rome. At first, I had to worry about shoes for the characters and I decided to use flip flops from a department store and use leftover vinyl from the chest plate made for the Proteans. I then cut them into smaller pieces and had them wrapped around the leg as well as being connected to the flip-flop. Different styles were made for each character. While making the costumes we thought it was too bland and boring so we painted the costumes different patterns that you would see during that time period. It was also decided to use costumes from our closet for the courtesans, but embellished it more by adding the ends of old rugs that had pieces of gold flare onto the white dresses. While adding gold onto the black dresses by using fake plastic coins and sewing them on the dress. We tried to have every courtesan have some type of gold so the audience would know what characters were a courtesan.
The Women of Lockerbie was one of the first shows where I was head of the costumes crew. As there wasn't enough time to sew any costumes because of how short the fall season is I and the costumes crew went to donation stores for clothing. The process of figuring out what clothing worked for the 80s in Scotland I did my research of that time and also the tragedy that did strike on the Pan Am Flight 103. Learning about that tragedy and reading the play I knew at first I needed to find ragged clothing that would look like its been in a plane crash. As I knew that wasn't enough, the costumes crew and I decided to burn some of the clothing a bit to make it look more realistic as if it fell out of a plane. We then went to donation stores for skirts with floral patterns for the ladies and coats because it was around winter time when the crash occurred.
Going into costumes crew for Phantom of the Opera was one of the most challenging positions I could have done. It tested everyone's sewing skills, as being costume constructors. With the women's gowns that was envisioned by the director, we took our time in sewing it to the greatest ability we could. We learned new hand sewing stitches and new ways to use the sewing machine as it was my first year really using one as well as everyone else. In creating the men's suits it was very foreign to the costumes crew. As we used pattern pieces for the suits it had us trying new things like putting the collars on and learning how to put in sleeves. This was my first show but I learned so much from it that I now have a better understanding of how to sew.